Friday, June 10, 2011

ANCIENT GRADE - DOUJIN ALBUM REVIEW


The Ancient Grade Front Album Cover - Catalog #SFCD-0001

So I got my hands on what I consider to be the best Falcom Doujin Album in existence, and it's from Sound Factory Carolina! I had to go through a Yahoo Japan auction to get it, and it was totally worth every penny. In short, this album is a perfect Falcom rock monstrosity. Sound Factory Carolina released it in 2006!

It's been a while since I was able to actually win an auction on a doujin album at Yahoo Japan, but this was a "buy it now," and it is all Falcom so I jumped on it. Plus, as a visitor of Sound Factory Carolina's site, this is the first time I've been able to get an actual album by them.
The album contains 12 tracks and only three of them are what I would consider soft, four if you count the "Cagesong of the Ocean Suite," (track 9) but that is EPIC, and it has plenty of rocking parts. I'm going to review every track, so let's get down to it!

The Track List

ALL MUSIC ARRANGED, GUITAR AND BASS PLAYS, SYNTH PROGRAMMINGS AND ARTWORK BY TOMOT

1. Feena (From Ys)
2. To Make the End of Battle (From Ys II)
3. Battle Ground (From Ys II Eternal)
4. Ruins of Moondoria (From Ys II)
5. The Limits of Strength (From The Legend of Heroes V)
6. The Dawn of Ys (From Ys IV)
7. The Gods of the Four Winds (From The Legend of Xanadu)
8. Illburns Ruins (From Ys III/The Oath in Felghana)
9. A Cagesong of the Ocean Suite (From The Legend of Heroes V)
10.Valestein Castle (From Ys III/The Oath in Felghana)
11.Final Battle (From Ys)
12.The Morning Grow (From Ys)


1. Feena (From Ys)
Have you ever wondered what Feena might sound like with a guitar? It begins like any other version of Feena. Soft synth, and the familiar melody by Yuzo Koshiro. Then, at around 15 seconds, the guitars kick in, and you know you're in for something different. It gets a little orchestral, with the guitar coming back in at intervals. It is so sweet! It feels almost like an urban piece. He tweaked what I'd call the main chorus melody, but it fits perfectly! Very well done, and well balanced. It sets the standard for the rest of the album.

2. To Make the End of Battle (From Ys II)
It's a classic, and what Falcom arrange album would be complete without it? The piece starts with a piano and then roars in with drums and guitars all over the place, there's a bit of organ too! At about 3:05 you're treated to a little bit of acoustic guitar, but the electric guitars come right back to close out the piece. It's relentless! It is one of the best versions I've ever heard. Period.

3. Battle Ground (From Ys II Eternal)
Originally a left out, though unforgotten piece of music intended for Ys, Battle Ground finally made it's in-game appearance when Ys II Eternal first hit. This is outstanding here, it's fast, and doesn't let up with the guitars and synth, IT'S A BEAST, I love it! It's over four minutes, and there are so many new parts SFC have created for it, it's just amazing.

4. Ruins of Moondoria (From Ys II)
Opening with some drums and guitar, it doesn't sound like the Ruins of Moondoria you know at first. At around the 24 second mark, here comes a piano and then you become aware of where he's headed with it. There's a lot of different things happening here, and even a part that sounds like Metal Max's "Tank Boss" when S.S.H. did it. Then at other parts it reminds me somewhat of a marching song. It's great, and fast right where it needs to be.

5. The Limits of Strength (From The Legend of Heroes V)
I've never finished Legend of Heroes V, but I do own the OST. I don't know if this is a boss theme or not, but it always sounded like one to me. This is another fast rock piece, with ruling guitars and drums. After three minutes there's an awesome guitar solo. I'm so glad this is on the album, as it made me want to go ahead and play LoH V some more. By the way, this is track 35 on disc 1 of The Legend of Heroes V OST.

6. The Dawn of Ys (From Ys IV)
This is the only performance on the album that I don't like as much as the others. It is kind of different from what you're used to hearing. Perhaps not arrangement-wise once the guitars come in, but in tempo. I would have liked it to be faster, but the way he did it, it does have a certain charm. Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent performance, and I could see this as fitting really well with an anime version of Ys IV, or if Ys IV was remade by Falcom. In the grand scope of the album, it fits well among the other speedy rock tracks. He has done well with it. Since I'm quite used to the Dawn of Ys version of this song, that may be the reason why I'm not too taken with it yet. There's some saxophone in here that did remind me of what Ryo Yonemitsu did with the desert theme in Ys IV -The Dawn of Ys. Atsushi Fukai even turned Ys IV's Battle #58 into a fantastic, cheery, piano jazz piece. Maybe it will grow on me after a few more listens.

7. The Gods of the Four Winds (From The Legend of Xanadu)
After the somewhat toned down "Dawn of Ys," he once again brings the album back to a really rocking mode with this arrangement of one of the action scenes from The Legend of Xanadu. Heavy drums and guitars throughout, it fits the tempo of the original chiptune perfectly. If you know me, you know I'm very fond of The Legend of Xanadu, and this is just awesome. The short organ part is very cool, and there is plenty of improvising on the melody. This is track 43 on disc 2 of The Legend of Xanadu OST.

8. Illburns Ruins (From Ys III/The Oath in Felghana)
In my opinion, this is the best, the pinnacle of the album. It is by far the best version of Illburns Ruins I've ever heard, and it COMPLETELY ROCKS! You don't hear the original opening of this piece until you're well into the track, but that doesn't matter, because this is Ys purity. It's frantic dungeon running, non-stop monster slashing at it's best, and it's another masterpiece. Perfection. If you're familiar with Tomohiko Kishimoto's (JDK Band) Ys III work on Adol's Theme, if you listen closely, you may hear some of that in here.

9. A Cagesong of the Ocean Suite (From The Legend of Heroes V)
This is the suite from Disc 2 of The Legend of Heroes V OST, tracks 22-25. THIS IS INCREDIBLE. I never imagined this piece could be done as such a rock anthem, but that's what comes to my mind when I hear it. Again, perfection, and almost 7 minutes in length.

10. Valestein Castle (From Ys III/The Oath in Felghana)
The arrangement begins with a beautiful harpsichord (is that a little bit of Sorcerian I hear?) which ends with the "lucky" Treasure Chest Theme. Then it takes a cue from The Oath in Felghana and rocks hard, loud and fast as it should, in the Ys tradition. This is ruling. Did I mention that somewhere already? The organ section at around 2 minutes is glorious. I so love this! Forgive me if I go on about this album like that, it is just so refreshing to hear incredible, quality arrangements of music you've grown up listening to. It is still possible to breathe new life into Ys music after all.

11. Final Battle (From Ys)
The final battle with Dark Fact comes alive just before the album's end. While I consider the TG16 CD version as perfection when it comes to this piece, Tomot continues to demonstrate here the mastery of the Falcom style of arranging with drums, synth, and guitar all rolled into one. I think this may be the most synth heavy track on the album, and it's awesome.

12. The Morning Grow (From Ys)
The Ys I Staff Roll. A fantastic way to close out this album with soft guitars, flutes, and piano. It all fits so well together.

Well, that's it. I was completely shocked by the beauty and quality of this album, it goes to show you that "Doujin Artists" such as Sound Factory Carolina have what it takes to arrange on the same level and even better than the game companies.
I hope you enjoyed this review. I'll leave a link and some more scans below:


Ancient Grade Back Cover


Ancient Grade Inner Cover and Disc

  • Sound Factory Carolina
  • You can even download songs from this album! I give it a 10 out of 10. Great job Tomot!
    See You Next Time!
  • No comments: